In recent days, Ive been fielding a lot of the same questions. Im grateful to be able to answer these as it means there are people interested in what Geau Golf is and does. To that end we begin:
- What is GEAU Golf and what’s up with the “GEAU”? Fair enough. GEAU is the last part of my name Sauvageau, and while its pronounced “joe”, the company is pronounced “go golf”
- What does Geau Golf make? We make Golf accessories soft goods. Headcovers, valuables bags, zipper bags, stuff like that. Everything is hand made here in Oregon. There is no production line and nothing is made outside of Oregon or the USA. Our products consist of 4 main areas: Headcovers for general generic sale to the public, custom one off covers made from new materials made to order and specification, Upcycled headcovers for the general public made from up cycled items such as retired camouflage from uniforms, denim jeans Tommy Bahama embroidery etc, and lastly Custom up cycled headcovers made from someones personal belongings and converted specifically for that person. We also do custom embroidery and monogramming for extra charge
- Where do you get your supplies? A lot of the materials we get we find in creative locations such as Etsy, eBay, and the like. New and vintage wools, Pendleton fabric from the mill. etc.
- What kind of materials do you use? The bulk of the headcovers that Geau Golf makes are from one of four materials: Wool, Leather, waterproof ( think Cordura) nylons, and waxed canvas. These items are durable and popular. Occasionally we will use other materials as when we make the Tommy Bahama repurposed shirts. Those are silk. Definitely used in the dry summer months.
- What is the cost? The cost to have a custom cover made will vary according to the request. There is a lot of hand work involved in making a head cover. There is no production line at Geau Golf, as each cover is hand crafted from start to finish. There are no robots or mass production. Each cover has my DNA all over it. Most generic ( non custom) drivers and fairway woods will start out in the general 60-70 dollar range and go up from there. A fully customized multi embroidered headcover can ( and has) topped out at $200 or so. I will always give you a pretty good estimate when you ask for one to be made.
- How long does it take to make one for me? As I say to every customer to asks me this: it depends on the complexity of the project. A simple build with no embroidery or fancy embellishments, can be ready in a short of time as a week, and very complicated headcovers can be 4-6 weeks.
- Can I get a special embroidery item? Yes, your company logo, a special insignia, or animal image can certainly be embroidered on to a headcover. If it requires digitization, then it will be farmed out to someone who specializes in that, as that is an art form in and of itself. I can also purchase and attach pre made patches, patches that a customer already has and wants incorporated into a cover or bag. I cannot do licensed material unless its in a purchased patch form.
- What are some of the things you have repurposed? In the last few months I have repurposed and converted: military uniforms, Tee shirts, sports jerseys, football pants, Golf Flags collected by the owner, backpacks. Stuff like that. I even did a Winter X games Gold medal jersey.
- How did you get started doing this? In the summer of 2018, I had a summer “staycation” and had some time on my hands. My own driver headcover was falling apart and went shopping for some locally made covers from a well known company. After finding one I liked and being surprised at the $100 price tag, I thought perhaps I could make this myself, being proficient with a sewing machine. After successfully making one, I completed my own set. Some friends wanted some as well and to be honest, it just sort of snowballed from there. I threw a few on to Ebay just to see if they sold and to my surprise they did.
- How can I see some of your work? Pretty simple, I have a Facebook page and presence on Instagram. Thats where you see the most current work as it is completed. There are also pieces on eBay and more added when I have time to make them.
- Can you make 10, 20, 100? Well, that becomes difficult to answer. There are no two items that are completely identical. I can and have made 10 of the “same” putter cover but if you need 100 covers for a large event, I probably cant fulfill that order. Have to be realistic. One might call my company “boutique” or “one off”. Its not likely you’ll see a pile of the same headcover in any one spot.
- How do I place an order: In one of several ways: You can message me through facebook, and instagram, and you can email me thru the contact feature of this website. I do accept texts once an established relationship is set but for obvious reasons, I dont leave my phone here .
- I’m an influencer, may I showcase and promote your covers? You want a free one. NO.
- Why should I pick you over any one else? There are a lot of great headcover companies out there, and I am one of them. Im not going to trash or put down any of my competitors, my niche seems to be in the creation of a headcover for someone who is looking for some very special personalization or repurposing of some item of some sentimental significance. Those types of businesses are somewhat hard to find.
I hope that some of your questions about Geau Golf have been answered. If you have a more specific inquiry please do so on our contact form!